Students will be offered admission in accordance with the General Statutes of the State of North Carolina and NEAAAT Board Policy 3.00 – Admission Policy.
Families are still able to apply to NEAAAT for the 2022 school year until September 7. Those students will be automatically added to our waitlist for the 2022-2023 school year.
Applications to the lottery for the 2023-2024 school year will open January 1, 2023.
3.00R3 Student Lottery Procedures
The following student lottery procedures comply with the NC Open Meetings Laws provided in N.C.G.S. 143-318 and the laws governing public charter school admissions as stated in N.C.G.S. 115C-218. The date of the lottery will be placed on the school website prior to January 1 each year. The time and location of the student lottery will be made public beginning at least 30 days prior to the scheduled lottery date. Students will be offered admission in accordance with the General Statutes of the State of North Carolina and NEAAAT Board Policy 3.00 – Admission Policy.
- Application Window: The application window for lottery purposes will open no later than 12:01am on January 1 each year, and it will close at 11:59pm on April 30 each year. Only those applications received and/or postmarked by the deadline will be entered into the lottery. Applications received after April 30 will be ineligible for the lottery and will be added to the post-lottery waitlist according to the order in which they are received. Applications will continue to be received, and waitlisted applicants offered admission, until the 21st day of each school year. Applicants who do not gain admission through lottery or the waitlist must submit new applications for the next admission cycle.
- Application Review: The school will review for accuracy each and every application received by the deadline. If inaccuracies within the application are found upon review, the parent/guardian of the applicant will be notified to confirm the information submitted and/or to make necessary corrections. Though the school will make efforts to identify inaccuracies and confirm information, it is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to ensure that the submitted information is accurate.
- Enrollment Preferences: Pursuant to N.C.G.S. 115C-218 and NEAAAT Board Policy 3.00, the following preferences exist: Faculty/Staff Preference; Previously Enrolled Preference; Enrolled Sibling Preference.
- Faculty/Staff Preference: Applications of students whose parents are employed by the school or who have made a commitment to work at the school in a full-time capacity will be granted preference and will not be placed into the lottery pool.
- Previously Enrolled Preference: Applications of students who were enrolled within the two previous school years but left the school to participate in an academic study abroad program or competitive admission residential program, or because of the vocational opportunities of the student’s parent.
- Enrolled Sibling Preference: Applications of students who are siblings of students enrolled at NEAAAT during the previous school year will be granted preference and will not be placed into the general lottery. If the number of sibling applications exceeds the number of available spaces in a pre-existing grade, a sibling lottery will be held before the general lottery to fill vacant seats in those grades for the next school year.
- Lottery Procedure: The lottery will be conducted electronically in grade level order by an unbiased third party. Lottery results are not final until certified per NEAAAT Board Policy 3.00 -- Admissions.
Students will be offered admission according to the order in which his/her assigned number is drawn. The maximum capacity of each grade has been set by the board. Students will be offered admission to a grade level until the capacity set by the board is reached. The names of all remaining applicants will be added to the waitlist according to the order in which their assigned numbers were drawn.
If a student fails to meet entrance requirements (i.e. promotion to the next grade level by the previous school) for the grade for which the student applied for admission prior to the first day of the school year, the student’s application will be deemed inaccurate and the offer of admission will be rescinded. This student may submit a new application for admission to the grade for which he/she is eligible, and the application will be added to the lottery waitlist according to the order in which it is received.
- Waitlist Preference: Pursuant to NEAAAT Board Policy 3.00 -- Admissions, waitlist priority will be given to siblings who apply to the charter school for admission beginning in the same school year, such as when a sibling was not initially admitted due to grade level capacity.